Saturday, October 25, 2008

Let's not start distorting patriotism now, shall we?


I have had a hard time swallowing remarks about how paying taxes is "patriotic."

No, paying taxes is a requirement. It is a necessary evil. There are repercussions for not paying taxes. I know because I have been late on them before. In 2006 I rushed to the post office in April to make sure my state taxes were mailed in time. I barely made it. I specialize in procrastination. I have paid late fees on property taxes just this year because I was one day late. My own fault for forgetting the date. I never felt the least bit patriotic for it. I understand the need in it, but patriotic it's not.

Patriotism is not a requirement. Patriotism is, in a sense, more of an offering, and it doesn't have to be monetary.

Patriotism is walking by an American flag and feeling moved.

It is being 11 years old during Operation Desert Storm and having my grandmother wake me up at 5:00 in the morning to put on my housecoat and shoes, and walk down the road in the freezing cold to salute and wave to the National Guard deploying from the Armory I grew up near.

It is my husband taking time on Veterans Day to deliver flags to friends and family that served in the military and personally thank each of them for their sacrifice.

It is supporting the troops in war, whether you agree with it or not.

It is standing for the National Anthem, and putting your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance.

It's joining the military and leaving your friends and family behind to defend their honor and freedoms we take for granted every single day.

It is understanding that being a citizen of the United States of America is a privilege that people from all corners of the world envy.
It's understanding that you don't have to agree with the leaders of this country, can openly say so, and no one will kick down your door with their army boots and kill you and your family. That's a right not everyone has.

The dictionary defines patriotism as devoted love, support, and defense of one's country.

In January 2003, during his address to the British Ambassadors in London, Tony Blair said, "I sometimes think it is a good rule of thumb to ask of a country: are people trying to get into it or out of it?" He was talking about America, and he wasn't the first to say it in some form or fashion.

Being patriotic is different to everyone, but it is never a requirement.

Maybe you feel patriotic when you vote or contact your congressman. Maybe you feel patriotic when you send a care package to soldiers overseas. Maybe you feel patriotic when you donate money to charities. Maybe you feel patriotic when you bow your head to pray for the safety of your family.
I have been thankful at times that no one has ever noticed me get teary eyed during the part of Zac Brown Band's song "Chicken Fried" that goes:
"I thank God for my life
For the stars and stripes
May freedom forever fly
Let it ring
Salute the ones who died
The ones who give their lives
So we don't have to sacrifice
All the things we love...
Like our chicken fried
And cold beer on a friday night
A pair of jeans that fit just right
And the radio on
Well, I can see the sun rise
See the love in my woman's eyes
Feel the touch of a precious child
And know a mother's love"


I will end this with the end of John McCain's republican nominee acceptance speech at the republican national convention.

"If you find faults with our country, make it a better one. If you're disappointed with the mistakes of government, join its ranks and work to correct them. Enlist in our Armed Forces. Become a teacher. Enter the ministry. Run for public office. Feed a hungry child. Teach an illiterate adult to read. Comfort the afflicted. Defend the rights of the oppressed. Our country will be the better, and you will be the happier. Because nothing brings greater happiness in life than to serve a cause greater than yourself.

I'm going to fight for my cause every day as your President. I'm going to fight to make sure every American has every reason to thank God, as I thank Him: that I'm an American, a proud citizen of the greatest country on earth, and with hard work, strong faith and a little courage, great things are always within our reach. Fight with me. Fight with me.

Fight for what's right for our country.

Fight for the ideals and character of a free people.

Fight for our children's future.

Fight for justice and opportunity for all.

Stand up to defend our country from its enemies.

Stand up for each other; for beautiful, blessed, bountiful America.

Stand up, stand up, stand up and fight. Nothing is inevitable here. We're Americans, and we never give up. We never quit. We never hide from history. We make history.

Thank you, and God Bless you."